Who We Are
Friends of the San Francisco Estuary is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization organized by the San Francisco Estuary Partnership’s Management Committee in 1991. Friends of the Estuary works to:
- Educate policymakers, legislators, and the public on the need for adequate freshwater flows to the San Francisco Estuary.
- Develop public involvement, education, communication, and advocacy programs.
- Promote citizen involvement in studying, restoring and managing a healthy Estuary.
- Develop and implement public education and involvement action plans.
- Develop a flexible, community-based framework for public involvement and education in all aspects of Estuary management.
- Serve as a watchdog and advocate for Estuary Blueprint implementation.
What We Do
Friends of the Estuary supports the San Francisco Estuary Partnership (SFEP) by:
- Promoting public review and involvement in overall Estuary Blueprint implementation and decision-making;
- Encouraging dialogue between public and private interests on restoration of the Estuary;
- Sustaining public and political interest in Estuary Blueprint implementation;
- Monitoring and reporting on implementation results and performance of the Estuary Blueprint;
- Supporting the San Francisco Estuary Partnership’s work programs and goals;
- Providing environmental education activities to the public;
- Participating in on-the-ground habitat restoration partnerships and assisting other environmental organizations by acting as a fiduciary agent;
- Providing fiscal support for the San Francisco Estuary Partnership’s State of the Estuary Conference;
- Presenting the Outstanding Environmental Project Awards at the State of the Estuary Conference;
- Helping sponsor ESTUARY NEWS;
- Assisting with publication of public education materials.